Thursday, April 24, 2014

Cooking with Braddy (and Rarity, I Guess): Black Bean Burritos


Look, it was either leave them in the picture or clean off my kitchen table, and ain't nobody got time for that!

I'll admit it - I've long disparaged the idea of the "dump and run" dinner, consisting mostly of opening various cans and jars of stuff and throwing it all together into a bowl before putting you face in it. Last night, though, I broke out another recipe from my mom's old Desperation Dinners book and learned just why the "dump and run" dinner is so delightful:

It's FAST.

The most time-consuming part of the preparation was cutting the onion and grating the cheese. As a whole, it took maybe twenty minutes to get dinner on the table. Which, you know, is good, cuz I didn't get to eat until after nine o'clock.

This is a recipe which will call for some fiddling. The core is good and simple - beans, cheese and tortillas are kinda hard to screw up - but the flavor's really missing something. I'll need to add something spicier. Maybe just "hot" salsa.

1 comment:

Feisty Harriet said...

My new favorite taco-y addition: a can of fire-roasted tomatoes, 1-3 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, blend in blender with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt until saucy. Enjoy. (3 peppers burns my face off, but J loves it that way. 1 pepper would probably be more my style.)

xox