Friday, October 21, 2011

Braddy Reads The Art of Tangled


It's been nearly a year since I first watched Tangled, and I STILL haven't quite worked through this completely bizarre obsession with a movie that I think is only okay.

I've been trying to focus a bit more on the (visual) artistic side of things, though, so I picked up The Art of Tangled. While I have HUGE issues with the story and characters, the visuals of Tangled grew on me quite a bit. I thought it would be educational to see some of the process that went into it.

And, boy, WAS it educational. A lot of the inspiration for the visuals in Tangled were drawn from Cinderella and, surprisingly enough, Pinnochio. I never would have made the connection between Pinnochio and Tangled, but, to hear it explained, it made a lot of sense.

Some of my favorite material comes from early in the book, when the visual design was more fine-art influenced. There are some surprisingly dark designs of the villain, Mother Gothel, which, while they wouldn't fit with the style the film eventually adopted, are absolutely fascinating to study, and would have made for a much darker film. Even the character designs for the thugs in the bar (who I REALLY hate) make more sense to me.

Heck, even the horse... Umm, actually, the very first sentence on Maximus's page compares him to Javert from Les Mis, so...


No. SCREW this guy.

Anyway, The Art of Tangled gave me a lot of insight, and a lot of good inspiration into my own art. I'm excited to keep practicing my own craft, and to keep exploring these "behind-the-scenes" books as I go forward. I went and put a bunch of them on hold at the library - SO excited!

No comments: