Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Psycho Bash. Also, Why I Improv

Halloween is less than a week away, which means that it's time once again for the Jesters Royale Psycho Bash, also known as "The Best Halloween-themed Improv Show of the Year."

Don't believe me? Just look at the stellar advertising we've done:


Halloween's something of a big deal to the Jesters Royale, and the annual show is a pretty important anniversary for me, as I've been participating in these shows for my entire tenure with the team. This year will be my fourth Halloween show, and... well, I must say I'm kinda surprised I'm still here. If you'd asked me a couple of years ago whether I saw myself doing improv with the Jesters still in 2011, I'd probably have said no. Yet, here we are.

Improv comedy is more than just a hobby I share with Michael Scott. The Jesters have proven to be a fantastic group of people - I'm constantly in awe of their talent and dedication to the craft of comedy (and, yeah, it's a craft). In the seemingly short amount of time I've been with them, I've learned a lot about timing, character development, and stage presence - important skills for comedians, no doubt. The thing is, I've applied these same skills in other disciplines to great effect (A friend of mine once commented that she liked to watch me teach Sunday School classes, because she could see the transition between "normal Stephen" and "performer Stephen").

So, yeah, I'm excited to still be with these guys after three years, and I'm looking forward to being a part of the time for a good while longer.

Also, our Halloween show is gonna be awesome. You should come.

2 comments:

Larissa said...

If I don't end up going to St. George, I am TOTALLY there:-)
Was I the one who wanted to watch you teach Sunday school? Cause I SWEAR I have said that exact sentence to you and it must be a sight to behold if several people have made this comment to you.

S.R. Braddy said...

I remember you saying something like that, too, but the comment I'm thinking of came from someone who actually saw me teach.