Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Independence Is Tough To Maintain Alone


So life's been pretty busy of late. Here's the SHORT list of what I've been dealing with:
  • I just took over the role of executive director for The Jesters Royale.
  • My boss broke her ankle, and one of my other co-workers went on a cruise, reducing our four-man workforce to two. And guess who picked up ALL the extra work?
  • My art class is actually assigning homework, which means I have 65 drawings to complete by Thursday
The biggest change, though?
  • I moved last weekend.
When I first moved to downtown Salt Lake City almost three years ago, I did so with the intent of establishing some stability in my life. Up until that point, I'd moved two to three times a year. Things felt pretty turbulent and transitory, and I wanted to make a go at building some long-term relationships with the people around me.

And it worked... sort of. I definitely made myself a home in my cozy little one-bedroom apartment, but I got so intent on making my own life that I kinda shut out everyone and everything else. As a result, I think I even wound up losing a lot of my personal ambition...

So I have mixed feelings about sharing an apartment again. On the one hand, it feels like I somehow "lost" the independence game, and I now have to accept help from someone else. On the other hand, I'm now rooming with one of my favorite people of all time, so I made out pretty well.

I'm looking forward to spending a bit of time WITH a roommate, for a change, partially because it'll help me recuperate from some of the financial damage I took over the summer, and partially because having someone else around will help me get out of the slacker mentality I've recently fallen in to.

Anyway, now that the move's done and work's gone (mostly) back to normal, I've got some projects I can finally dedicate my attention to - I've got some art to make, some blogs to write, and... well, there's life away from the computer, too.

2 comments:

Dashbo's no-brainer math for right-brained folk. said...

Why did you draw me as a black dude?

Larissa said...

This is what I got from your post: "so I made out pretty well."
Congratulations on that make out! ;-)