Monday, July 9, 2012

The Morality of Fiction

I spend a lot of time reading books and watching movies, probably more time than I should really cop to on the internet where (I hear) ladies have been known to spend some time. Truth is, though, I love fiction.

There's a morality behind every story told. I would wager that the vast majority of storytellers - be they writers, artists, or actors - imagine that they're a force for good in the world. I don't know anyone who writes stories with an intent to harm. Stories are written to entertain, to motivate, and, on occasion, to teach.

Of course, some stories are more competent at teaching than others...

If you're wondering whether I'm really so petty that I would snipe at a random Facebook wall post... well, you have your answer now, don't you?

1 comment:

Miss Megan said...

Huh, I'm a little surprised that a guy who writes and appreciates poetry would be so literal when consuming fiction ;-)