Monday, December 30, 2013

You Say You Want a Resolution?



Well, you know, we all want to change the world.

I'm a notorious New Year's Resolution transgressor, and yet I never stop making the resolutions. This year, I actually did pretty well, especially on my writing project, which lasted until my iPad got stolen in August. For 2014, I've got three things to focus on.

1 - 30 minutes of writing per day. I know, I know, I've done this one before, but I've actually had pretty good success with it in years past. I only fell off the wagon when I got caught up in doing a play, and I've got no plans to do anything theatrical this year.

2 - On a related note, I'd like to do three "character sketches" a week. By that, I mean "written descriptions of people I know/I see on the bus." I really do need to practice my descriptive writing, and I figure this will help. I may post some of them here, just to see if, by chance, people can figure out who I'm describing.

Good thing all my blog readers are completely gorgeous.

3 - And now for something completely different. The last goal I'm actually calling "Clean-a-thing," because I like to name my resolutions, like one would name an ill-fated pet with a tendency to run towards a busy street populated entirely by garbage trucks. This one's simple: clean one thing every day. On a busy day, this means dust a shelf or wipe down a mirror. When I've got more time, though, it means I have to break out the knee pads and sponges.

Over the weekend, I discovered the joy of cleaning while listening to "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me," "Stuff You Missed in History Class," and "Welcome to Night Vale" (although "joy" isn't probably the correct emotion for that last one). So, yeah, I'm now accepting recommendations for podcasts, cuz I'mma need a lot of mental stimulation to get me through the hours of cleaning ahead of me.

For the record, I'm also accepting donations towards the "Let's Remodel Braddy's Bathroom Because It's Unconscionably Awful" fund.

1 comment:

heidikins said...

Um, cleaning is my Happy Place. :)

J-Mo really likes listening to Freakonomics podcasts. I download classic audio books from Librivox and listen to them.

xox