Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cooking with Braddy: Golden Temple Curry


Ah... See, THIS is far more my speed.

I've been trying so many other cooking projects recently that I'd started to neglect the really flavorful dishes that got me into cooking in the first place. So I went once more back to the Mighty Spice Cookbook to get something with just a little more complexity to it. And, man, was it good.

Quick tangent: I've been asked why I don't actually post recipes on my blog, and the simple answer is that I don't feel comfortable sharing other people's brainchildren. If a recipe were MY brainchild, I'd have no problem publishing it. However, since most of these recipes are posted in books with copyright notices and all that, I'd feel bad brainkidnapping. So that's that.

Now, this recipe caused me two problems. The first one came from the two onions. I'm not usually bothered by cutting up onions, but two onions at once somehow really got me. My eyes were on fire, and, since my chest had previously been burned all the heck up from my first attempt to go exercising since the fall, I was feeling pretty fiery and miserable by the end of the day.


The second problem was one that only really occurred to me in hindsight. See, this recipe is actually called "Golden Temple LAMB Curry," but I didn't use lamb. I just grabbed one of those packages of stewing beef they have at the butcher's, which probably would have been okay if I'd adjusted the cooking time. The lamb was supposed to stew for an hour and a half (two Gilmore Girls episodes), but the beef probably didn't need that long. In the end, it felt a little tough and chewy.


Still pretty good, but next time I think I'll spring for the lamb.

2 comments:

heidikins said...

I actually really appreciate you not posting the recipes because of all the things you mentioned. I see so many blogs that simply repost a recipe (with or without a link to it's owner), or who say it was "adapted" from something else (again, with or without link). Their "adaption" is sometimes as small as using half the amount of salt, or substituting yellow onion for white onion, or some other such mundane change. It irks me SO MUCH that people try and claim the rest of that original chef's work as theirs, simply because they are trying to decrease the sodium in their diet. Urgh.

xox

Bizzie said...

I love that you use Gilmore Girls episodes as time increments!