Monday, March 18, 2013

Project 8: Another One Pulls Him Up

The world has turned another round.
It ground me down to paste.
The cup of life has flooded over
And I ain't got a taste.
To leave my mug so empty now
Would be an awful waste.

Hey, there! Bring the bottle 'round.
Come on, man, fill my cup!
Every time one of us falls down,
Another one pulls him up.

My wife won't let me home no more.
My little boy turned ten.
Why's she so mad that I
Forgot his birthday again?
It's not like I was there last year.
Didn't she learn her lesson then?

Hey, there! Bring the bottle 'round.
Come on, man, fill my cup!
Every time one of us falls down,
Another one pulls him up.

I never make enough at work.
I've never won the lottery.
I drop my head at guys with suits
And noses full of snobbery.
Thank God I don't need that much dough
For this kind of camaraderie!

Hey, there! Bring the bottle 'round.
Come on, man, fill my cup!
Every time one of us falls down,
Another one pulls him up.


I like drinking songs. I'm also Mormon, so I don't have many opportunities to sing drinking songs. Well, I guess I COULD sing them, but without a drink in my hands, I'd probably look a little funny singing drinking songs.

Actually, I don't even know: Do people SING drinking songs anymore? Or has karaoke completely taken over?

Regardless, I was inspired to write this piece by the few "drinking songs" I hear, like Toby Keith's "Red Solo Cup" or Psychostick's "Beer!" Heck, I even like those songs that get a chorus of frat boys to sing along, like "Gives You Hell" or "Carry On." However, while those songs were definitely my inspiration, I couldn't shake the image of Merry and Pippin from
Lord of the Rings dancing on the tables, so Tolkein was probably the chief influence on this poem.

And all of that doesn't matter, because what I REALLY want to talk about is the picture. This is the first Project 52 picture I'm actually proud of. It fits the tone of the written piece better than most of the other things I've done. More importantly, it was actually a skill-stretcher. I drew the picture in Procreate on my iPad, and, for the first time, I think I was able to capture my usual paper and ink style on the digital device. From there, I added color, a process which took several hours. The result, though? Probably my favorite picture since the bunny one.

Although I don't know that I really captured the "faded jeans" effect quite like I would have wanted.

No comments: