Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Big Screen Breakdown: The Lego Movie


Initially, I had no interest in seeing this movie. I mean, it's a January release (already a marker of low-quality) that looks to be a 90-minute commercial for an overpriced toy line. But then The Lego Movie started tracking really well, so I'll admit I got curious.
  • Okay, before I say anything else, I have to say this: Will Arnett has one of the best Batman voices I've ever heard. It's great.
  • I expected this to be another one of those movies where all the best jokes are highlighted in the trailer. And... yeah, they kind of are.
  • You know, the animation here is actually pretty good. They made a lot of good from the relatively limited medium available to them.
  • The movie's basically The Matrix, up to and including how the heroes are able to "see" things differently. In fact, the gag that the "master builders" who make up the rebellion "see" the world in terms of part components, down to the actual part number from the Lego catalog, is worth the price of admission by itself.
  • Anyone else think it's ironic that such an obvious marketing tool, full of product placement and branded toys, has a character named "Lord Business" as its primary antagonist?
  • Speaking of Lord Business, Will Ferrell actually looks really good as a minifig.
  • The good guys' base is called Cloudcuckooland, and that is awesome.
  • Verdict: Eh, it's harmless. If you're interested, check it out.

1 comment:

miss kristen said...

Mr Wonderful has been chomping at the bit to see this. Something tells me this will be our Valentine's date this weekend... ;)