Thursday, March 27, 2014

Big Screen Breakdown: Captain America: The Winter Soldier


These superhero movies are starting to make me antsy, especially the sequels. While Mrvel's films have been consistently pretty good, the number twos in their recent franchises have either been forgettable (Iron Man 2) or just plain bad (Thor: The Dark World). And now, we've got Captain America: The Winter of Our Discontent, an adaptation of what's probably the best CA story since the star-spangled Avenger punched out Hitler. I was super excited, but I worried that the new movie would fall into the same traps as the earlier sequels. Fortunately, that was NOT the case.
  • I hope people not as steeped in comic book history can enjoy these movies as much as I do. While it would definitely help to see the first Captain America movie, I doubt it's essential.

  • Tonally, this movie's QUITE different from Captain America NĂºmero Uno. While the first movie is strongly reminiscent of one of my all-time favorite superhero films, The Rocketeer, The Winter Soldier is far more similar to something like The Bourne Identity. By the way, this is a good thing.

  • I know Captain America's the guy whose name is in the title, but The Winter Soldier is almost just as much about Nick Fury and the Black Widow. It's probably the best performance I've ever seen from Sam Jackson, and Scarlett Johansson is just as good as she was in The Avengers.

  • The Winter Soldier himself is just as compelling as any villain Marvel's released in the theaters to date. Maybe more so. He's got a personal connection to the hero that makes their final punch out far more than a spectacle. There are deeply intimate stakes beyond just "the world go KABOOM!"

  • Can... can Anthony Mackie's Falcon get his own movie? I like that guy!

  • Why is Robert Redford in this movie? I mean, he's REALLY GOOD... but he's also Robert Redford. Seems like a strange pick for a superhero film.

  • Proof that more characters aren't necessarily bad: I count nine different named characters from the comics. I think fans of Batroc the Leaper might be disappointed, but otherwise, everyone gets just enough screen time and development to make their presence in the movie worthwhile.
  • Did I say nine? I meant ten.

  • Maybe I'm just getting sensitive in my old age, but the violence in this movie really made me cringe. People die, and since most of the fight sequences are between unarmed characters, the deaths are really personal and sometimes very disturbing. The movie earns its PG-13 rating, folks.

  • Best line in the movie: "I do what he does, only slower." I could explain why I love the line so much, but we'd be here all day.

  • Verdict: Amurca! AMURRRRRRCA!!!!!

No comments: