Friday, August 3, 2012

Poem of the Week

Goodtime Jesus
James Tate

Jesus got up one day a little later than usual. He had been dreaming so deep there was nothing left in his head. What was it? A nightmare, dead bodies walking all around him, eyes rolled back, skin falling off. But he wasn’t afraid of that. It was a beautiful day. How ’bout some coffee? Don’t mind if I do. Take a little ride on my donkey, I love that donkey. Hell, I love everybody.
 
***
 
First day of my Advanced Poetry Writing class back in college, Professor Michael Sowder gets up and reads this poem.  He's got a laid-back attitude and a voice sleepy with contentment - like most good poets do.  His face breaks out in this delighted little smile when he reads the line, "Hell, I love everybody."  Then he puts the book down, looks around at the class and says, "Isn't that nice?"
 

Yes, Mr. Sowder.  It's VERY nice.