Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Big Screen Breakdown: Man of Steel


Confession time: So you remember that time that I raved about how much I love Superman? Well, I said all that, having never actually seen a Superman movie before. This summer's Man of Steel was my first, and, given my deep love for everything the character means, I went into the film with some pretty high expectations. In thinking about my reaction to the movie, I have to be careful to separate what I wanted the movie to be from what it actually was. And what was it? Well...
  • This is the best-looking movie I've seen all year. Zach Snyder's apparently known for his visuals, and it shows here. The action sequences are thrilling, but there's also some really great camerawork in the quieter moments.
  • Speaking of appearances, Henry Cavill looks more like Superman than anything I've ever seen outside of an actual comic book. If only he'd had the little red shorts, the look would have been 100% perfect. He acts the role just as well, bringing a real human element and emotional vulnerability to the impervious Man of Steel.
  • This movie needs more supporting cast. Amy Adams plays a great Lois Lane, but she doesn't quite get enough to do. And Lawrence Fishburn really needs more to do. He gave me the one moment that actually made me cry in the theater. He's too good to be relegated to what's basically a glorified cameo.
  • I'm sure that Michael Shannon (who plays the villain) subsists on a diet of amphetamines and scenery. Which is great. If you're going to be a villain, be over the top. Those are the best kind.
  • The Superman fathers really, REALLY make me feel conflicted. My personal idea of what Jor-El should be like is probably the exact opposite of how much we see of him in Man of Steel... and yet Russell Crowe is very, very good. His presence helps imbue Clark Kent with some of the morality that Superman is known for.
  • And then we get to Kevin Costner, who plays Superman's earthly dad, Jonathan Kent. I was less than impressed with what hints we got of his character in the trailers, and the movie... well, those flaws are all still there. Jonathan frequently comes off as kind of cowardly, and he teaches Clark a lesson that rings false with who Superman is supposed to be.
  • Is there some rule that says that superhero movies this summer are supposed to have ridiculously awesome action sequences with female characters? First there was that creepy Extremis woman in Iron Man 3, and now there's the Kryptonian woman in Man of Steel. It's an odd trend... but a fun one. I fully endorse women kicking butt in movies.
  • The Kryptonian fight sequences are just... just beautiful.
  • Man of Steel is going to get compared to Batman Begins a lot - David S. Goyer's involvement will guarantee that. Interestingly, I found that my favorite aspect of Batman Begins - the non-linear background story - doesn't work as well with Superman, while the big climactic fight - which fell short of impressing in Batman Begins - really works in Man of Steel
  • I have about 80,000 things I could say about the ending of the film. Y'all really need to go see it so I can talk about it. It's gonna be a source of contention, but, ultimately, I think it works, especially when you consider that this is the story of Superman becoming Superman.
  • Verdict: Highly recommended, despite some glaring flaws.

No comments: