Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Cooking with Braddy: Pot Roast



Man, I just don't have the budget to splurge on fancy meals anymore. A big chunk of meat is usually well out of my price-range. However, I got a sizable Christmas bonus, a Saturday free of obligations, and my very own copy of the Good Eats cookbook.

Therefore: pot roast.

I suck at groceries. Often, I have trouble finding ingredients called for in recipes just because I don't know where to look in the supermarket. Alton Brown's recipe called for "tomato juice," but I went with a predominately tomato vegetable blend instead. It had a good flavor, and I don't think it hurt anything.

Also, I dropped the bottle of red wine vinegar and busted the cap.

I REALLY hate the little plastic caps that come on these things. They seem to fall to pieces at the slightest bit of pressure, even when the glass bottle stays intact. I think we'd better start calling weakling boxers "Plastic Jaw" instead, cuz that stuff is WEAK.


The meat didn't turn out quite like I'd hoped. It was pretty tough, even after 3 hours of cooking. But it had quite a good flavor, and it gave me leftovers for a few days.

Man, does anything ever taste quite as good as leftover pot roast? I think not.

1 comment:

Torrie said...

Something that will help your pot roast keep in moisture is to sear the outside edges before you ever put it in the slow cooker. I brown all the sides (about 3-4 minutes a side) before putting it in the Crock Pot for about 5 hours, and it comes out perfect. Of course, I also put a can of beef broth in with it (and some mushrooms, onions, and powdered onion soup mix), which might all help as well.

Just some thoughts :)