Saturday, February 26, 2011

Bar Fights, Comics, and Shadows


So I was in church on Sunday, listening to a talk about tithing, and I broke out my sketchbook to doodle. I came up with this - a free-for-all in a bar. Y'know, cuz booze-fueled battles and Bibles go hand in hand.

(Actually, that's probably a topic for another post)

Anyway, after drawing the scene, I decided to experiment with different methods of shading and "coloring," in an attempt to add a bit of value variety to a strictly black-and-white scene. I'm pretty pleased with what I came up with. If the techniques aren't 100% the best, at least I learned something.



Here's a golden oldy - I did this sketch a while back. I like the style of the new one a little better. It's still not perfect - the characters don't even look the same from panel to panel. But I say it's an improvement.


I was just about to say that this is my new favorite picture that I've ever drawn. I mean, I AM pretty proud of it. The kneeling girl took me an hour to draw, just so I could make sure she looked right.

Then I spoke to my sister-in-law, who told me it looks like something from the New Era, and that just made me sad.

No comments: