Thursday, March 8, 2012

Sad Little Skull Boy


I’m not quite sure what possessed me to draw a skull the other day – nor why I decided to put a T-shirt on the skull one I was done. Nevertheless, here we are, and I’m pretty happy with where that strange little artistic exercise led me.

That is, of course, not exactly an accurate depiction of what the human skull looks like – if anything, it’s a Mike Mignola skull, the type you see in Hellboy comics. Actually, mentioning Mignola here makes a lot of sense. One of the things I’ve always loved about Hellboy is the idea that there’s this great big hulking red DEMON walking around, and most of the people who see him are like, “Whatever.” They’re totally indifferent to something that should scare the crap out of them.

And I think that’s kinda what I was going for here. The sad little skull boy’s school friends don’t seem to mind that he’s a little different. To them, he’s completely normal. In fact, he may even be the loser of the group.

That’s both funny and really tragic. I think Tim Burton would approve.

No comments: