Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Fantastic Ones

I hit a bit of a rut in my drawing recently. Basically, I ran out of ideas. I considered for a bit turning to the sketchbook generator, but I shelved that idea after remembering I haven't MADE one yet.

I remembered then going through this bizarre phase shortly after graduating from high school. I'd dedicated a lot of time then to developing characters for potential storytelling projects and had a slew of characters just kicking around in the back of my head. I'd moved on from reading and writing fantasy fiction, but I hadn't yet graduated to whatever came after that, so most of these characters were some strange amalgamation of wizards and superheroes. The characters had no real backstory, purpose, or personality. The VISUALS, though, were promising. So I've sketched up a few of them.


I'll admit that a lot of this character creation happened actually while I was serving a mission for the LDS church. As hard as I worked, I'll admit to spending a lot of time lost in idle thought. Missionaries, as you may not know, get BORED.

This character may or may not have been visually based on a girl I may or may not have had a crush on while serving the mission.


During that same period of time, I developed a bizarre obsession with cane umbrellas. Cane umbrellas are cool. They're also wildly impractical, which is how you know they're cool.


I'd never drawn a black character before, so I actually stressed a little over how to indicate a darker skin tone. I did a bit of research, and ultimately decided that whatever works for "Sparky" Schultz would be good enough for me.


Originally, this character was an adult white male. I sketched something that looked a bit more like a Japanese child, though, and decided I liked the look too much to switch up. So I gave him a jersey and shorts.

I don't know that having a Japanese boy turning into a giant monster could be considered racially insensitive or whatever, but I certainly hope not.

No comments: