Thursday, January 3, 2013

Cooking With Braddy: Gorgonzola and Sage Stuffed Chicken


For Christmas, I received a new cookbook: Quick & Easy Recipes With Just 4 Ingredients (couldn't find an Amazon link). At first, I was a lettle disappointed, expecting that most of the recipes would be something like, "Spread ketchup on a pre-made pastry crust. Top with ramen noodles and serve with Fritos." And, yeah, there we a few recipes like that. However, there was also this gem, and I just had to try it.

The idea here is to cut a slit in the chicken and stuff it with the other ingredients. It's somewhat messy work, but the end result is pretty good. It helps that the chickent gets stuffed with tasty gorgonzola cheese.

The bottled sun-dried tomatoes get put to good use. They're packed with oil,which would usually be thrown away. However, the recipe recommends using the leftover oil to cook the chicken in. I thought that was a clever touch.

I still get paranoid when cooking chicken on the stovetop. One underdone piece is enough to ruin a whole day's worth of meals. The trick in this recipe is to select thin chicken breasts - which was counter-intuitive to me. I selected thicker breasts so cutting the slit would be easier. These took much longer to cook, and the outside was fried to to point of being tough.


The thin one, though... Oh, THAT was good!

3 comments:

Torrie said...

I usually go for thicker pieces of chicken as well. My trick for making sure it doesn't get too dry on the stovetop is to cook the breasts in a thin layer of water on medium heat (with a lid over the skillet). I also cut thin slits in the chicken about halfway through, which makes the middle get done faster.

Hope that helps :)

miss kristen said...

Next time sear them in a skillet and finish it up in the oven on oh-350 or so. (Oh darn, you'll have to invest in an oven-safe skillet.)

S.R. Braddy said...

Is cast iron oven safe?