Friday, January 11, 2013

The Wettest Blanket


Everybody here know that guy who always has to have the last word on everything? Who just HAS to share his opinion, regardless of the context? You know, that guy who always turns up right when you're about to share your thoughts on something you love, only to tell you how much he hates the very thing you were about to mention? We all hate that guy, right? Don't we just want to punch that guy?

Well, sharpen up your boxing gloves, because guess what? It turns out I AM THAT GUY.

I first noticed this problem (well, had it pointed out to me) while waiting in line to watch a movie with my brother and sister-in-law. I don't even remember the context of the conversation anymore, but I think my sister-in-law mentioned a movie she really liked, and I just responded with, "Ugh, I HATE that movie!"

Then she called me a wet blanket.

And it's pretty true. I don't MEAN to be a wet blanket. I just happen to be a man who is very fond of his own opinions. And why not? My opinions are awesome, and the world would likely be a better place if more people shared them.

Sometimes, though, I just have to sit back and let other people share their own opinions. I mean, just because an individual is demonstrably wrong doesn't share my feelings on a particular subject doesn't mean their point isn't worth making. So I have to learn to be more patient with those differently opinionated than I.

And I promise to do so if y'all promise to stop punching me. Those boxing gloves are frickin' SHARP!

3 comments:

John R Belliston said...

I think we both know I'm not going to stop punching.

heidikins said...

Ha.

xox

Garret said...

Setting goals is lame.