Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Big Screen Breakdown: Les Miserables


I went with my cousin J.C. to see Les Miserables (also known as Crying: The Musical) on New Year's Eve. Rather than write up a full review, I've opted to just jot down a few thoughts I had while watching the movie and during the hours afterwards. I'll probably do this for most movies I watch from now on. Some of these thoughts may even be insightful, so be sure to read them all!
  • Wolverine fights Gladiator in order to save the life of Catwoman's daughter, Little Red Riding Hood. It's, like, the crossover of the century!
  • I've never been an Anne Hathaway detractor - in fact, I've always liked her. Yet I'm still surprised that she was as good as she was in this movie. When did Ella Enchanted become one of the best actresses in Hollywood?
  • I was pleasantly surprised by Gerard Butler Russell Crowe as Javert. He was still probably the weakest singer in the ensemble, but he exceeded my expectations, and managed to genuinely impress on more than one occasion (see especially "Confrontation" and the scene when Valjean finds him at the barricade).
  • Amanda Seyfried has a beautiful voice. Who knew? I wish she had more breath control so we could have heard those nice high notes longer.
  • J.C. pointed out that there's no title card in the movie. How the heck were we supposed to know what we were watching?
  • Love Hugh Jackman. Love his voice. Sadly, I'm not sure he was the best choice for Valjean. I grew up listening to Colm Wilkinson sing the part, and so in my head, THAT'S what Jean Valjean should sound like. And Hugh Jackman, through no fault of his own, is no Colm Wilkinson.
  • Hey, look, Colm Wilkinson is in the movie!
  • Poor Fantine has the worst experience of her life. She's in tears, losing her faith in God and humanity... and I'm in the audience eating Raisinets. There's something wrong with that picture.
  • "Valjean's Soliloquy" features some peculiar cinematography. Jackman sings directly to the camera while going through his crisis of conscience. It's a bizarre decision, and a risky one on the part of the director, but one that I think ultimately works.
  • Geez, they wrote an original song just for the movie. Thankfully, "Suddenly" doesn't suck. It explains most of Valjean's behavior for the rest of the story in a way that nothing in the original production really did. It's not the strongest song I've heard, but it's pretty nice still.
  • Actually, they make a lot of changes to the music from the stage production. Broadway fans should be patient, though, as most of the changes make sense and work within the context of the movie. None of your favorite songs have been cut (unless "Dog Eat Dog" was you favorite song, in which case, brother, you and I won't ever understand each other).
  • Well, okay, ONE change from the original music really smarts. Marius gets a line in the original production where he wonders who rescued him from the barricade. Without that line, I honestly assumed he knew. The ending gets a little confusing without that.
  • No, seriously guys: Anne Hathaway may be the best part of the movie. That's the second time she's done that to me this year!
  • Unrelated to the movie - I think New Year's Eve movies may be my new favorite tradition I've only done once.
  • Verdict: Recommended

2 comments:

Larissa said...

I appreciate Anne Hathaway in The Devil Wears Prada, but I honestly did NOT expect to enjoy her in this movie. And she was by far my favorite part....she just blew me away and I doubt we will ever see "I Dreamed a Dream" performed so perfectly ever again. It wasn't the vocals...those were small and intimate (opposite of the stage), but the whole combination...just...perfection.

Miss Megan said...

I agree with everything in this review. I didn't mind Russell Crowe at all, was less impressed than expected by Hugh Jackman (not a fan of his voice and "Bring Him Home" was a little strained for me), and adored Anne Hathaway. I would pay the full price again just to watch her sing "I Dreamed a Dream" again. I can't believe that's all one shot! Tom Hooper knew what he was doing there "Just let her sing!"