Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Cooking with Braddy: "Mayan" Hot Chocolate


I don't know who this "Stephen's" guy is, but I think we've all been had.

With the threat of snow this weekend, I thought I'd try a hot chocolate recipe I've been sitting on for nearly two years. One more time, I've gone back to the Mighty Spice Cookbook for a new recipe. It won't be long before I've posted my thoughts on all the recipes in the book.

I wanted to get a good quality chocolate bar for my first attempt at this recipe, but the Smith's by my house had a pretty poor supply of the Lindt bars I usually use. All the 70% dark chocolate bars were several months past the "Best When Used By" date. So Ghirardelli's won out.


Chocolate and chili go together amazingly well, which should be no surprise, since the two flavors pretty much grew up together. The recipe only calls for a pinch of chili flakes, so there's not really that much heat. Actually, I probably could have added more. The cinnamon, though, was a great flavor to add, and the honey adds that last bit of sweetness to really make this quite the treat.

1 comment:

heidikins said...

Yeeeah, I stopped with the Stephen's mix stuff a long time ago. I always add a little bit of salt and usually one (or two) of the following: vanilla extract, almond extract, cinnamon, nutmeg. My mix is typically cocoa powder and sugar, I only use fancy chocolate when I'm feeling particularly, well, fancy. :)

xox