Thursday, July 1, 2010

Goal Check 2010

With 2010 now half over, let’s just see how I’m doing on those goals I made WAAAY back in January:

1 – Write for a half hour and complete at least one sketch per day.

VERDICT:
No Good!

I’ve done a great job on my daily sketches (STILL haven’t missed a day, and that’s been pretty well-documented), but I’m lucky if I get in a half-hour of writing a WEEK!

2 – Make at least one submission to a journal or magazine per month.

VERDICT:
No Good!

I did a pretty decent job on my submissions up through May, and then I just let things get away from me. I think I’ll consider this one fulfilled, though, if I can get caught up with three submissions in the month of July.

3 – Enter at least 15 poems in the Utah State Poetry Society Annual Contest.

VERDICT:
Completed

4 – Read at least 3 books on art technique (1 on charcoals).

VERDICT:
In progress.

I borrowed a book on figure drawing from my good buddy Aldo Gomez. Next, I picked up Scott McCloud’s Making Comics. Just have the charcoal book to go.

5 – Read at least 3 books on theatrical improvisation.

VERDICT:
In progress.

I’ve read one so far. So it’s better than nothing, right?

6 – Attend the temple at least once per month.

VERDICT:
So far, so good.

7 – Attend to my church responsibilities regularly, including monthly attempts at home teaching.

VERDICT:
Eh. I’m about 50% here. Which, I believe, would get me an F at school.

8 – No more “That’s what she said” jokes.

VERDICT:
I’m doing okay here, but I think I could stand to clean up my humor a bit more.

9 – Be proud of who I am. Because who I am is awesome.

VERDICT:
I’m not sure how to grade this one, as it’s purely subjective. So I’ll go with “Super.”

10 – Listen more.

VERDICT:
Probably could use some more improvement here, too.

11 – Explore more – especially in the world of literature.

VERDICT:
Picked this one back up recently, although I did a TERRIBLE job back in the early months of 2010. I’m going to start writing up reviews of a lot of books that I read, so this should be pretty easy to track.

12- Adventure more.

VERDICT:
I had bacon chocolate for the first time. Does that count?

13 – Have fun.

VERDICT:
Well, I’M enjoying myself. How about you?

3 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, that's really impressive that you have kept up with drawing everyday. It almost inspires ME to set some goals. But...nah, maybe next time. And I don't know exactly when I am referring to when I say 'next time,' so, it will probably be a while.

That being said, I do miss the times when you wrote more on your blog. I really enjoy reading what you write! But, I'm sure there are things that come before your blog on the list of things to write, right? So, I guess I can deal with that.

Good luck!

Heather said...

P.S. Trying bacon chocolate is adventurous. Personally, I couldn't find the courage to do it.

S.R. Braddy said...

I AM planning on updating a bit more regularly with shorter posts. I feel my presence on the blogosphere is a metaphysical necessity... or something.