Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Smattering of Sketches


I whipped this one out in a church meeting a while back. I decided I wanted to start putting together more character ideas in case I ever get one of those comic stories I wanna do off the ground.

Angelo here turned out pretty well, despite some... questionable... wardrobe choices (one of those little notes says "Long sleeves? No." Technically, I think that's supposed to be a wife-beater under the jacket).

I do have to say, though, that I'm fond of that hair.


More experimentation... I picked up a set of markers in different shades of gray, thinking I could use them to do some pseudo-coloring. So, yeah, the above picture is supposed to look like that. I'm not sure how well I like it.

Once I finished with the picture, though, I got a better idea of how I'd want to do the layout - a bit less traditional. I think I'll try it again.


While inking this one, I shook out one of my markers to get a bit more "oomph" out of it... only to completely fill the lid up with ink. Whoops. Silhouettes aren't as easy to draw as I expected. The naked old guy turned out pretty well.

Maybe I shouldn't have pointed out that he's naked...


One more experiment, this time with some sepia colored markers I'd picked up. For better results in the future, I may use these on a tan-colored paper, rather than the plain white. Also, I think I'll have to be more adventurous with the shading to really take advantage of this set.

I'd totally buy that poster, though.

No comments: