Thursday, January 5, 2012

Catching Up with the Classics: 12 Angry Men


I actually watched this movie last week, which is why it doesn't appear on the list. Technically, though, 12 Angry Men is one of the FIRST classic movies I selected to fill the gap in my life.

And... well, it's pretty good, but I've seen better.

The central message of the film is pretty strong - it's all about civic duty and the importance of one man's life. I'm pretty sure that the investigation these jurors undertake goes a bit over the line - in fact, there's one bit of evidence submitted that is clearly said to be illegal. Still, the casualness and callousness with which eleven men are willing to pass judgment on another's life is worth questioning, and that's what the film does.

There are some pretty powerful moments - I'm especially fond of how the racist Juror #10 is pretty brutally shut down after his diatribe. I think my favorite moment may have been the exchange between Jurors #8 and #4. #4 was by far my favorite - his motivation was clear, and he seemed to let logic dictate his actions.

The entire film, with maybe a couple minutes excepted, takes place in a single room. The audience feels the same stifling claustrophobia the jurors do. It's actually a well-executed effect.

If there's one TECHNICAL problem that I have with the film, it's the dramatization of some of the shots. The story is simple enough that it doesn't need extreme camera angles to make its point - the strength of 12 Angry Men is in its dialog and the strength of its characterizations. So, when they're employed, some of the close up shots come off a little too... intense.


I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Still, 12 Angry Men is a solid movie. It's a classic, and deservedly so.

2 comments:

miss kristen said...

Did you mis-use their on purpose?

I watched this one day on AMC and I was enthralled from beginning to end. It is definitely one of my favorites.

S.R. Braddy said...

(one quick edit later)

Misuse "their"? I don't know what you mean.