Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Les Mis Cast Raises Some Concerns...


Hey, there's a big-screen adaptation of the Les Miserables musical coming soon. That's cool. I love that show. I wonder who's in it...

Hugh Jackman... Okay, I can get behind that. He's a talented singer and a big enough name to attract some attention all on his lonesome. Who else... Russell Crowe... Anne Hathaway...

Wait, WHO'S THAT?


That's... That's really strange.

Okay, some people might think I dislike Taylor Swift (although I have NO idea where they'd get that idea). Truth is, she's really good at what she does... which is pop country. Pop. Country. Not Broadway showtunes. Popcountry.

I'm not even saying she'll do a bad job. She'll probably be fine. I mean, she has a pretty voice, and Eponine's songs rely on a bit more tragic sweetness than full-force belting. Taylor swift's voice may even be a good match for this role.

Still, it's obvious that most of these roles are being filled by people with name recognition over those with perhaps more suitable talent. On the other side of the pop star casting, you get Helena Bonham Carter, who didn't exactly impress with her singing in Sweeney Todd. Again, she'll probably do fine in the role she's playing - Madame Thenardier is a GREAT character role, and Helena Bonham Carter is a GREAT character actress. Outside of the music, the casting is ideal.

I don't understand this desire in Hollywood to take big names and stuff them into roles that they'll be mediocre at. You wind up with excellent talent like Gerard Butler and Pierce Brosnan, and they sound EMBARASSING. You COULD staff your musical with more players like Taylor Swift, but then you run the risk of embarassing yourself in other ways. Hope Miss Swift remembers her drama club lessons... did she even GO to high school?

Imagine if the folks behind Les Mis had let themselves get carried away with this trend - casting popular musicians in roles JUST for a fancier marquee.

"Who are we casting now? Jean Valjean? What's this guy's story? High singing voice? Okay, here's who you get."


"Who's next... Thenardier? What's he, a comic relief guy, right? We need someone a little goofy... Got it!"


"All right, we're on a roll. Last one... Gavroche? A kid? Oh, this is easy."


Okay, cynicism aside, this looks like it could be a good movie. Most of the casting choices MAKE SENSE, once you get past the initial eyebrow raise. And, personally, I'm really excited to see Sasha Baron Cohen in another musical role. Guy's impressed me, and that's something I never thought I'd say about Borat.

3 comments:

Psychoticmilkman said...

Eww...I'm not okay with some of this.

Jake said...

This post is amazing. I'm pretty sure I 100% agree with everything you said.

Miss Megan said...

Taylor Swift is out! I'm breathing a sigh of relief that a musical theater person will be playing Eponine instead.
http://broadwayworld.com/article/BREAKING-NEWS-Samantha-Barks-To-Play-Eponine-In-LES-MISERABLES-Movie-20120131