Thursday, January 12, 2012

Braddy's Dream Roles

The Les Mis buzz I posted about yesterday got me thinking about my life on the stage, as it were. Actually, I've been to see a lot of plays and performances recently, so theatre's been on my mind quite a bit. You know what? I kinda miss it.

It's been over a year since the last time I was on stage in a professional production. I've been doing improv with the Jesters Royale regularly since then, and it's been a blast, but it's not quite the same as spending hours in rehearsal, sweating over lines, and getting into arguments with the costumer.

Hm. Not exactly a pretty picture, is it? Trust me - it's better than it sounds.

I won't be able to do a show of any kind for several months at least - maybe longer. Still, I'm already dreaming of the limelight again. And, while I'm dreaming, I might as well fantasize about some roles I'd LOVE to play - even though I'm PROBABLY not the best choice for any of them.


Benedick, Much Ado About Nothing

If there's one role I'm TOTALLY suited for, it's this one. I'm not exactly the strongest Shakespearean actor, but I love the Bard and MOST of his works (I'm of the opinion that Hamlet is overrated - see below). Much Ado About Nothing is far and away my favorite Shakespeare play. I sympathize quite a bit with Benedick, the belligerently single soldier who secretly longs for someone to understand him...

That was... a bit more revealing than I'd intended. Let's move on.


Jamie Wellerstein, The Last 5 Years

I first heard "The Schmuel Song" nearly ten years ago without any idea of where it came from. When my friend Carolyn sat me down and played The Last Five Years for me, I about punched holes in the ceiling, I was so excited.

This is a true "dream" role - I don't quite have the range to hit Jamie's highest notes. Also, I'm not Jewish. But the story of a struggling author who hits it big (and subsequently lets his life go to crap) touches me, and I'd love a chance to tell his story on stage.


Rosencrantz, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Truthfully, I'd take just about any role in this production. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead is one of the finest plays ever written. It's funny without ever getting too silly and thought-provoking without ever getting too heavy. Tom Stoppard single-handedly justified the existence of Hamlet, as far as I'm concerned.

Now, I'd probably do a better job of portraying the more straight-laced, analytical Guildenstern, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer the goofier Rosencrantz rants. And by "lying," I mean "lying in a box with a lid on it."



Javert, Les Miserables
Chauvelin, The Scarlet Pimpernel

There's just something about playing an uptight police officer during the French Revolution that appeals to me...

No question - Javert is one of the finest roles in all of musical theater. His dogged persecution of the criminal Jean Valjean never falters, drawing strength from his unshakable conviction that he is right. The instant it appears he may be incorrect, his world shatters - making his a truly tragic tale. His music's pretty good, too.

Chauvelin's pretty similar to Javert. What he lacks in moral complexity, he more than makes up for in just darn good music. "Falcon in the Dive" is probably one of my favorite Broadway numbers - it's dramatic and over-the-top in all the right ways.


(poster by Manelle Oliphant Miller, who is awesome)

Mortimer Brewster, Arsenic and Old Lace

Maybe I'm cheating a little bit here. I have, after all, already done this role at the Empress Theater. The thing is, Arsenic and Old Lace is the best producion I've ever been involved in and Mortimer Brewster my favorite role I've ever played. I would LOVE to do it all again.

Especially after a couple more years of improv comedy training. My ability to do physical comedy has increased quite a bit since the summer of 2009. I'm still no Carey Grant, but I think I could actually do the part justice now.

So that's my list. Theater folks, what are YOUR favorite/dream roles?

3 comments:

miss kristen said...

I am narrowing what could potentially be a VERY long list to my top five (in no particular order):

Eponine-Les Mis-Les Mis was my 'gateway' musical. I immediately fell in love with Eponine and her story. Who hasn't been in love with someone who sees them as "just a friend"?

Fantine-Les Mis-She is such a force to be reckoned with. Not many characters still affect people after they're dead.

Rosie-Bye Bye Birdie-After coming *this close* to finally winning this role a few years ago I have dubbed it my Elenor. Rosie and are alike in more ways than I care to admit.

Sarah Brown-Guys and Dolls-She is straight-laced-yet once Sky gets her to let her walls down you learn she is a freak just waiting to let her flag fly.

Annie-Annie Get Your Gun-Another role I can relate to more than I care to admit...

Juan-Carlos said...

Pseudolous from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. To be at the center of that show's chaos and to be able to outsmart everyone would be fun.

Gabe from Next to Normal. His songs sound cheesy, but they're frightening in the context of the play, knowing the truth about him.

Henry Higgins is my favorite from My Fair Lady, but I'm more likely to be cast as Col. Pickering.

Heather said...

I wrote an essay about paradoxes for fun one time, and talked about how I considered Javert a tragic hero. He certainly is complex! I'm embarassed to say I've only seen the role played by Geoffery Rush, though. Also, I absolutely love Falcon in the Dive! And I may have said this before, but Where's The Girl is kinda hot.