Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Cooking with Braddy: Skinny Mac and Alfredo


Healthy eating is a bit of a crock sometimes. The trick isn't to add more veggies and whole grains and whatever else. No, it's just "replace all the dairy with lo-fat dairy!"

If only...

I opted to try this dish from the Skinny Moms Blog because it looked like it'd be quick and easy. Some nights I just don't have a couple hours to cook. I want something I can throw together, pop in the oven, and be done with it. This... wasn't exactly the right dish for that goal set - even if pre-made, bottled pasta sauce is one of the key ingredients. The whole thing still took me about an hour, although I imagine a good chef coulda probably knocked it out in about half the time.

Also - what's the deal with adding a single egg to mac and cheese? This is the second recipe that I've seen that adds an egg from nowhere to the mix. The final product has a good texture, though, so I guess I won't question it much.


I think it's a rule somewhere that casseroles have to look gross. They just have to. Every time I make a casserole, it always tastes good, but, man, if I were a four year old, I wouldn't eat this thing even after picking out all the slimy green things.

Here's to being a grown-up boy with a grown-up palate.

1 comment:

heidikins said...

Yeah, the egg binds up all the ingredients and makes it hold together much better, which basically makes your whites whiter, your brights brighter, and your Mac and Cheese...um...whatever, you see where I'm going with this, right?

xox