Thursday, January 27, 2011

I'm In the Band


I'm working on a couple of different story projects right now, including a comic involving musicians. Here's my first attempt at giving the characters a bit of a life. I had a lot of fun with this drawing but found it WAY too time consuming for my deadlines (the drums alone took me about an hour), so I decided to simplify things a little bit.

The story I'm planning takes inspiration from/draws heavilyfrom/blatantly mimics Scott Pilgrim, so I figured:


Let's just make them all LOOK like Scott Pilgrim a bit.

Introducing the Dead Poets' Sorority:

June on lead guitar and vocals grew up in a household where the classic poets were more important than the daily cartoons (that's her picture of Robert Frost up on the wall), so she decided to share her love of poetry through the irresistable power of crappy garage rock.

Samantha on bass would be perfectly content to just sit on the front porch and play music all day. In fact, that's what she was doing when June asked her to join the band. She's probably still playing right now. Seriously, someone needs to encourage that woman to get a hobby.

Kenny plays the drums. He's very obviously not a girl, but June didn't know any girls that could play the drums. So she picked Kenny. She also picked the name of the band. So Kenny is the drummer for the Dead Poets' Sorority. But he's not a girl. He's 100% man, baby, and he wants YOU to know it.

Look out, world, here comes Dead Poets' Sorority, ready to pound culture into your skulls with hits like, "Rocking By Woods on a Snowy Evening," "Because I Could Not Rock For Death," and, of course, "O Captain! My Captain! (Of Rock)."

BONUS

Because someone out there asked for it (no, really):

No comments: