Wednesday, January 12, 2011

5 Best And Worst Songs from 2010

I took a look at the Billboard Hot 100 for 2010, and decided to compile a list of my favorite (and least favorite) songs of the year. 2010 is the first year I really spent listening to popular music on the radio since high school. Maybe I'm just getting old, but it seemed like a pretty bad year - most of the music I heard was AWFUL. Still, I did manage to find some songs that I really liked - which probably implies that I have terrible taste in music.

Basically, here's my sole criterion - if the song makes me feel like I need to dance while driving, then it made the list.

5 - Break Your Heart
Man, what a cocky song! Listening to this song is like having bullets of pure hubris fired into your ears. I don't know who sounds cockier - singer Taio Cruz or Ludacris. Either way, I got a kick out of it.

4 - DJ Got Us Fallin' in Love
I've never really been an Usher fan before now, but I couldn't help but get into the wild enthusiasm of this song. Actually, this song would probably be a little higher on my list if not for Pitbull's verse on the track. Man, that guy...

3 - Club Can't Handle Me
I don't know what it is - there's just some part of me that really enjoys Flo Rida's monotone swagger. Plus, I love the way he rhymes "business" and "ridiculous." It must be nice to live in a universe where that makes sense.

2 - Ridin' Solo
Here's a song that just hit me at the right time - I got to feelin' a little bit insecure about my single status. Then this song comes along and says, "Hey! It's okay."

I know, I know. Cheesy.

1 - Magic
This song is just about the most fun I've had listening to music since I don't remember when. I can't help but have fun when everyone else involved in the production so obviously is as well - and that's definitely a good thing.

***

You may have noticed I felt the need to apologize for most of the songs on my list. See, I feel like I maybe SHOULDN'T like those songs, but I do anyway. Unfortunately, I think that's a bad omen for what the rest of the year was like musically. Here are my least favorite songs:

5 - Haven't Met You Yet
I don't... DISLIKE Michael Bublé. Actually, he has a mighty fine voice. This particular song, though, just IRKS me. I think I saw the lyrics to the song on too many lonely-heart Facebook walls for me to take it seriously anymore.

4 - Fireflies
It's perfectly fine for a song to be sweet and syrupy, but this song just REEKS of calculated sincerity. Not to mention that it's annoying as a hair in your mouth.

3 - OMG
Putting this song here actually makes me feel a little better about liking Usher's OTHER song so much. The song's bland, monotonous, and, to top it all off, offensively weak. Some subjects make strong foundations for good music. Your last text message... generally doesn't.

2 - Tik Tok
Grrr... THIS GIRL. Everything about Kesha (and I refuse to spell that name otherwise) BUGS me, from her valley girl "Clueless" voice to... actually, it's mainly her voice (but her mall-brat-meets-trailer-trash wardrobe doesn't help things). It's like she's trying to make everything she says sound dirty. Her music seriously sounds like she's WINKING the whole time - and that doesn't even make sense. Her music makes my brain turn into nonsense.

I decided to only include one song from each singer on my list for least favorite songs of 2010 to add a little variety. If I were being 100% honest, my least favorite songs of the year would include no one but Kesha and...

1 - Teenage Dream
Katy Perry.

By my perception, Katy Perry has built her entire career on weak shock value and low-cut dresses. She's definitely not famous for her voice - she sounds more than a little bit like Slappy Squirrel. And then there's the song itself - a ballad to the "sweet euphoria of being a teenager in love." Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this, but teenage love SUCKED. It was all neck-snapping mood swings, raging hormones, and regret - pretty much the exact opposite of "Teenage Dream."

Holy crap... It just occurred to me that I'm complaining about how today's music leads teenagers to sex. I AM getting old.

(By the way, if you're wondering why I didn't include Lady Gaga on here, let me remind you that I've said all I'm going to say about her).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some kids to chase off my lawn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Um, I think I only know one of these songs and I'm sure it's by accident.