Sunday, April 24, 2011

Daily Sketches: A New Frontier


I went to a church dodgeball activity, thinking it'd be a good opportunity to draw people in action. I wound up getting caught up in the game myself, so I didn't quite get the picture I wanted.

That said, I'm actually pretty pleased with how the girl in the picture above turned out - the pose, the face, even the clothes I think work pretty well. However, by the time I got over to drawing the guy, I pretty much gave up.


There's not a whole lot to say about this particular picture. I thought I'd try to draw something showcasing a sense of isolation. I'm not sure how well I succeeded...

Now here's something I've never tried before:


When I first started learning to draw, I turned to Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain to pick up the basics. I pretty much glossed over the chapter that dealt with light and shadow, though. Now I've decided it's time to go back and learn about tones and shading so that I can add some depth to the pictures I draw.

I mean, I don't MIND that everything I do looks like a page from a coloring book, but still... time to branch out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

cool. I like the bottom one. Great work. I think shadow it fun. How is it going for you now?

S.R. Braddy said...

It's... tough. This isn't as easy to practice as I thought it would be.

Plus, I keep leaving my pencils home when it's time to draw :-P