Monday, October 3, 2011

Art Class: Day 3

We spent last week's drawing class scribbling with three different varieties of charcoal on HUGE pieces of pennyweight paper. So, yeah, you don't get scans this week. You get poor quality photos.

Enjoy.

Our subject for the day was a rather large pile of completely eclectic objects. We picked out a particular viewpoint and started sketching - first with the vine charcoal, and then we added more detail with compressed charcoal. After about fifteen minutes, we got up and changed places, taking over someone else's drawing. So the two pictures I've displayed here are the ones I started, but I didnt' get to this final image on my own.


The first view I picked out had a large vase of flowers framing a bust of Diana. I had originally left the upper-right field blank, but, after pressure from the instructor, I decided to add in the whiteboard (complete with the reflection of fluorescent lights on the surface).

It was difficult to accurately gauge the space between the vase and the bust... and I don't think anyone even WANTED to try to draw Diana's face.


The second picture I started was an extreme close-up of a small dragonfly pendant leaning up against a wooden box. That box really TICKED me off, too. I took it for granted that the box made a perfect cube, but the front plane was ACTUALLY slightly off from the rest of the box. It really messed up my perspective.

I feel a little bad taking credit for this piece, because it looks NOTHING like I originally planned. The others who contributed added most of the defining details.

No comments: