Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Cooking with Braddy: Cake Bites


Okay, hands up: Who's never heard of cake bites before?

Their a sweet looking dessert with a really simple underlying concept. Have you ever gone to a wedding reception or something, and you see the three-year-old kid eating their cake by the fistful? They don't break off pieces, but they mash the whole thing, frosting and all, into a ball and shove it in their mouths.

Basically, if the three-year-old washes their hands first and then dips them in chocolate, that's a cake bite.

My aunt brought a couple different kinds of cake bites to our Father's Day celebration, and we all kinda went nuts for them. They were delicious. So she ran off a couple recipes, and I decided to give them a try.

I felt a lot like that three-year-old mashing up the wedding cake. Seriously, you start by baking a cake.


Then you tear the cake to little pieces.


Then you mix it together and roll it all into little balls. And you do most of it by hand.


Of course, after the whole thing is done, you dip them all in chocolate and let them cool. They're pretty tasty.


I've got a batch of Cookies and Cream Cake Bites all done now. They turned out pretty well. There's a batch of Root Beer Float Cake Bites I still have to coat (and is there a more Utah-ded treat than "Root Beer Float Cake Bites"?).

Not too bad for a dessert invented by an antsy toddler.

5 comments:

Larissa said...

So hot right now.

S.R. Braddy said...

Are you calling me fat?

Larissa said...

No, Baby. It's not like that! I'll use your spare tire in case I get a flat;-) JUUUST kidding. You are not fat, but you are delicious.
*here is where I feel I have put enough to prompt Kristen to write something Harry-met-Sally-esque."

Maratha said...

Very Nice Choco... I love it..

miss kristen said...

How am I JUST seeing this?

Now that I'm on the spot I can't come up with any witty 'When Harry Met Sally' reference. Crap.