Friday, June 8, 2012

Cooking with Braddy: Meat and Potatoes


My brother said recently that my family is full of "meat and potatoes" types. I don't know that that's 100% true (I'm more of a "grilled-cheese sandwich and ice cream" type), I do like me a good steak. So I was pretty excited to try a quick meat and potato recipe from Desperation Dinners.

Unlike a lot of the recipes I've been trying recently from The Mighty Spice Cookbook, there aren't a lot of complex or hard-to-find ingredients in this recipe. I think the most exotic component of the dish was garlic powder. Makes it pretty easy to put together. The steaks go into a skillet to cook.


Or, you know, overcook, as the case may be.


Don't worry. I did better with the second batch.

The meat goes into the oven to keep warm, while the hash browns go into the pan to cook. Just before the hash browns are done, you pour the collected juices from the steaks into the pan with the potatoes and stir in until it's all absorbed. Sadly, I must have bought fairly lean steaks, because there wasn't all that much juice left. What was there added a pretty good flavor.

Arrange decoratively on a plate and serve.

No comments: