Monday, October 8, 2012

Braddy Reads Cat's Cradle


I do a lot of reading on my lunch breaks at work - often while taking walks on the streets around the hospital. The other day I took Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle with me to a branch of my local bank so I could read while making a withdrawal.

"Don't you just love Vonnegut?" the young woman at the cashier's desk asked me.

"I don't know," I said. "I only just started it."

"I read a lot of Vonnegut's books when I was in college for my undergrad."

"You studied English? Me, too."

She ran her unadorned left hand through her massive mane of curly hair and said, "And you're just reading Vonnegut for the first time? Well, I hope you enjoy it."

Oh, if only I were the type to ask for phone numbers...













Oh, you want to know what I thought of the book? It should be a movie. Directed by Wes Anderson, starring Jason Bateman.

4 comments:

miss kristen said...

*facepalm* Stephen. This girl was PRACTICALLY asking you to ask for her number.
I hope the book was good at least.

S.R. Braddy said...

When "practically" becomes "literally," I'll have an easier go of it.

Anonymous said...

I double dog dare you to get her phone number next time. Be a hero to all us introverts and show us its possible!

miss kristen said...

Stephen. The worst thing she could have said would have been 'no, and I'm pretty sure she would have been nice about it. I TRIPLE DOG DARE you to go back.