Thursday, October 11, 2012

Horrorshow: The Woman in Black


Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're back!

Two years ago, I decided I'd spend the month of October watching horror movies. I didn't really watch too many last year, so I'm pretty excited to have another go at the Horrorshow in 2012.

The first horror movie I ever watched was Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell, so I think it's only fitting that I kick off this year's horror movie marathon with THE EXACT SAME MOVIE!

Okay, maybe that's a little unfair, but the entire time I watched The Woman in Black, I couldn't help but notice several similarities between this movie and Drag Me to Hell, ESPECIALLY as the films near their conclusions. If you've seen them both, then the dark night in the rain and mud, the fake out resolution, and the finale at the train station all feel suspiciously familiar.

However, The Woman in Black trades Raimi's comedy for a slow-boil creepy atmosphere that, personally, I prefer. There are some nice long stretches of near-silence that just ratchet up the anticipation of future scares very nicely.

Also, I don't know what they did with the lighting, but everyone's EYES just stood out in nearly every shot. There was one seen where Daniel Radcliffe's eyes actually looked like they were different colors. I don't know if the intent was to highlight the eyes or just add some deep shadows, but I liked it.

I have a few misgivings about The Woman in Black. It's a pretty formulaic movie, but (at least for me) the formula's still relatively new. I enjoyed the heck out of it, even if I spent a few minutes yelling at the screen because WHY THE HECK WOULD YOU LET GO OF YOUR CHILD'S HAND WHEN THERE'S A GHOST ON THE PROWL?!?!

GAH! Harry Potter's an idiot sometimes.

2 comments:

miss kristen said...

The same reason the girl being chased by the psychotic killer runs up the stairs instead of out the front door. Makes for a good scare.

Anonymous said...

Or the survivor only shoots/stabs/hits the serial killer once. Just. Keep. Going. Til. You. Know. He's. Gone.