Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Horrorshow: Pan's Labyrinth


I think my brother may have been a little upset that I wasn't overly fond of the last movie he recommended me. Well, today's post should make him feel a little better, I think.

I had some misgivings going into Pan's Labyrinth about the level of violence. I mean, this is a pretty disgustingly violent movie - even worse than I'd anticipated. But... gosh darn it, if I didn't think it was good all the same.

I mean, this film is STUNNING. Ironically, the more "modern" CG effects look pretty dated now, but the "old school" puppetry and costuming is gorgeous. Some of the best-looking special effects I've ever seen in anything, ever, and that without any Dayglow Blue Smurf People.

Pan's Labyrinth is going into the same category as Lolita - a story I'm really glad I experienced, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to go through again. Then again, the juxtaposition of ambiguous darkness in the fantasy world and genuine evil in the real world create a wonderful tension I honestly think I'd like to experience again.

It's a very confusing film, that's all I'm trying to say.

I may actually PURCHASE the two disc DVD set, if only for the "Making Of" featurettes on disc two. I love hearing artsy people discuss stuff they feel passionate about, and Guillermo Del Toro doesn't disappoint. I ALMOST liked the featurettes more than the film, and that's pretty impressive.

I guess some people might question categorizing Pan's Labyrinth as a horror film. Wikipedia calls it "dark fantasy." I call it, "Why does that guy not have any eyeba... AAHH!!! RUN! RUN! STOP EATING, YOU STUPID GIRL! AAHH!"


I say that counts.

1 comment:

Psychoticmilkman said...

Awesome, one of my favorite movies of all time.