Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I Believe In Heroes


Maybe I'm the only one this ever happens to.

I caught The Amazing Spider-Man at the dollar theater last night, and I drove home with just this enormous swell of energy in my chest. I was seriously pumped up, like I wanted to go out and punch up all the lizard monsters I could find. As I reflected on the emotional responses I had to the film, I realized that, no, I didn't really want to hurt anything. Rather, I wanted to create. I was inspired, as I often am after a good story, to go out and make something good.

I'm of the opinion that we've been blessed by the recent deluge of superhero movies - and yes, I do mean "blessed." "Blessed" as in "bestowed with good," because as campy, silly, and completely unrealistic as superhero stories are, I believe them to do a very good thing, beyond the pure escapist entertainment they provide. Yes, I loved The Avengers for being a furious fist-pump of a movie, but I also appreciated that it illustrates how important cooperation is. The Dark Knight Rises, though flawed, showed how one man refused to give in to despair despite overwhelming odds. It was a pretty fitting and inspiring conclusion to the best movie portrayal of Batman since Adam West (Yeah, that's my opinion, and I am NOT backing down).

However, of the three prominent superhero movies that came out this year, I think I liked The Amazing Spider-Man the best - which is odd, considering I have next to no real history with the character. Something about the way Peter Parker was portrayed in the new film really spoke to me - a gifted if somewhat awkward young man is granted a lot of power that doesn't immediately make his life better. Rather, he uses that power for selfish ends and learns (the hard way) to accept the responsibility that comes from his growth. More than just about any other superhero movie, The Amazing Spider-Man shows the main character develop in a way I found both profound and deeply personal.

The fact that he got to make out with Emma Stone was just gravy.

Sweet, sweet gravy

At its heart, the superhero concept is a very childish one. Frequently, these stories follow characters who are stuck in a situation beyond their control. By mere chance, they receive some type of gift that grants them power over their circumstances. It's a fantasy a lot of children can relate to, although I know many adults who often feel the same way.

What makes the superhero story so compelling, though, is that in nearly every instance, once the character receives their great power, they ultimately use that power to improve, not only their situation in life, but the lives of their neighbors, their cities, or, in the most dramatic examples, the whole world.


It's basically the only reason a character like Superman exists at all. He's got so much power that, from a narrative perspective, there's almost no illusion of danger. Of course he's going to save the day. He's frickin' Superman.

So if we're not enjoying Superman stories for the action, there's got to be some other reason people keep going back to the man in the red-underpants, and I don't think the reason is hard to grasp. We so often see people in power abuse their position, it's reassuring to think that there could be someone who chooses to use his power for the benefit of others rather than himself. And if someone like Superman can use the strengths he has for good, then, maybe, so can we.

I won't lie. I read this panel in Silver Surfer: Parable and about cried. You can shut up.

Most of these characters are people thrown into situations beyond their control. Rather than just giving up and letting the world run its course, and rather than indulging in their basest cravings, the superhero stands up and fights for what is right. Often, that desire to do good is symbolized by a literal fight, but there are always those scenes of heroes rescuing children that tend to get an honest-to-goodness smile from most audience members. What we see on the screen isn't just the hero winning. It's the hero protecting the less-fortunate and passing on to the next generation the lesson that one person can make a positive difference.

That's the central metaphor behind the superhero. These stories acknowledge that we live in an imperfect world, beset on all sides by corruption and dischord. Those negative forces exist, but, as long as there are good men and women willing to do the right thing, those forces can not win.


And that is amazing.

1 comment:

Todd said...

Well said my friend. Well said. :)