Monday, October 29, 2012

Horrorshow: What Lies Beneath


I'm actually still not sure what to make of this movie. What Lies Beneath didn't come recommended to me in any fashion; it's just something my roommate had sitting on his shelf. And... well, I thought it was pretty good, but there are of course some qualifications.

About half and hour into the movie, I got a feeling that I'd seen this story already. Then, another half-hour later, I felt like I was watching a completely different but still familiar film. In fact, What Lies Beneath felt like a mix-tape of about every horror film trope I've come to be familiar with.

Luckily, the actors carry these tropes off pretty well - especially Michelle Pfeiffer who, considering the only other movie I've seen her in, is a much better actress than I expected. Harrison Ford (who is VERY good) tips his hand a bit early on, revealing the twist within the first half-hour; however, I lay the blame for that on the script rather than the actor.

Above all else, though, there are the bathtub scenes. These scenes are surprisingly intense, even if a little silly (There's a drug that paralyzes completely except for a person's eyeballs?). Still, you get a real sense of dread, especially as the killer maintains a casual tone while filling up the tub. That stuff's pretty chilling.

My schedule's getting a bit busier this week, so I may not have time for any more horror flicks before Halloween. Wish I'd gotten a few more genuine scares this year. Well, there's always 2013...

No comments: