Saturday, February 13, 2010

Daily Sketches


2.10.10 - Cop-out sketch. Drew it at Village Inn while waiting for my pie.


2.11.10 - Frank Quitely is one of the best artists working in comic books today. I decided to copy his take on Lex Luthor from All-Star Superman, which is one of the best comics I've ever read (and I don't even LIKE Superman).

Drawing the lab coat flowing in the wind was a lot of fun. I think one of the reasons a lot of my earlier drawings feel so flat is that there's not a lot of "personality" to the clothing. The folds and textures are pretty engaging to study and copy.


2.12.10 - I drew the guy on the left during my lunch break at work. The shoes I just drew hastily when lunch was almost over, but the rest of the guy... yeah, I liked drawing this guy.

I got so excited by the fun I had drawing that I decided I wanted to add another character on the other side of the page. I drew the girl during intermission for The Odd Couple at the Empress Theatre. It... didn't go as well. She looks like she's falling over.


2.13.10 - I decided to try to draw consistent-looking characters from different angles. Here's my first effort.

The hair on this guy was a BLAST to draw. I modelled it after the 'do one of the guests at my friend's wedding sported.

I can't help but feel that the sweater makes this guy look fat... especially from the front view.

It's not a PERFECT likeness between the original and the profile, but I'll be darned if it's not still pretty good.

No comments: