Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Top Five Ice Cream Flavors

Y'know, there are times when I look at everything I've got on my plate and wonder how I have the energy to get it all done. Then I realize it's all thanks to a fluffy frozen mixture of vanilla extract and butterfat.

Yeah, I love ice cream. A lot. Too much, probably. I'm not FAT by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have a tiny shelf just above my navel where I can rest a cup of Ben and Jerry's ice cream... which, of course, builds that little shelf right up. It's a vicious cycle.

Anyway, here are my five favorite flavors of frozen dairy goodness:


5 - Karamel Sutra

There's a surprising lack of chocolate on my list of favorite ice creams (well, the short list, at any rate). And it's not the chocolate in this particular blend that appeals to my baser instincts. No, it's the big fat ribbon of pure caramel running right down the middle. I wouldn't necessarily call it "sexy"... but MAN is it good!


4 - Pistachio Pistachio

I could easily just make a list of my five favorite Ben and Jerry's ice cream flavors... which I may actually do some day. I'm actually trying NOT to feature one brand too prominently, so this'll be the last B&J appearance on this list.

Surprisingly, some ice cream flavors I like because they're gentler and milder. Such is the case with Pistachio Pistachio. The ice cream actually has a few too many nuts for my taste, but it's cool and refreshing in a way other overly-sugary treats can't match.


3 - Overload! Fried Ice Cream

Real fried ice cream is a treat - and not nearly as disgusting as it sounds. You take a scoop of ice cream, cover it in batter and corn flakes, and fry it for, like, thirty seconds if that. Cover it in caramel and cinnamon and you're done.

Bryer's tries to recreate the experience with their Overload! line, and, while it's not a PERFECT match, it's a heckuvalot more convenient. I'll admit to being a little weirded out by corn flakes in ice cream at the very first, but it works well for me.


2 - Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream

There was a time, back when I was young, naive, and, by most accounts, stupid, when I would not eat cheesecake. I hated it. I thought it was gross in that irrational way that children KNOW they'll hate a food before they try it.

Even then, I loved cheesecake-flavored ice cream.

Now, here's another flavor where I prefer less over more. A lot of cheesecake ice creams have bits of pie crust or graham cracker ribbons in them, and, to me, that's just too much. I prefer to keep it simple - sweet ice cream with chunks of delicious strawberries.


1 - Caramel Praline Crunch

As you can tell, I loves me some caramel.

Maybe it's cheating, but I'm sneaking in a frozen yogurt flavor in the top spot. I absolutely love this particular flavor (Dryer's or Edy's or whatever it's called). It's soft, creamy, and sweet with just the right amount of crunch in the pralines. Add a caramel ribbon and I'm there!

For more ice cream fun, you might want to check out On Second Scoop, a website I stumbled across while looking for ice cream pictures.

No comments: