Thursday, August 18, 2011

Self-Understanding: The Rheti Sampler


I, like many others, desire to understand myself better. However, I feel that the time spent in meditation, introspection, and perhaps counseling could better be used unlocking PS3 trophies. Thank goodness for easy-to-complete online personality tests like the RHETI Sampler.

The Riso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator identifies nine distinct personality types and organizes them in a neat pentagrammy-looking thingy. There's a lengthy questionnaire you can take, but I, not having $10 and 40 minutes to spare, took the free sample to see what it's about.

(If this looks familiar to some of you, you may recall that Larissa tried this about a month ago.)

So here are my results:


Pretty much all over the map, except for personality type number 2. Guess that means, if you need something from me, you know where to go.

The highest scores were in type 3 and type 5:

3 - The Achiever

Threes are self-assured, attractive, and charming. Ambitious, competent, and energetic, they can also be status-conscious and highly driven for advancement. They are diplomatic and poised, but can also be overly concerned with their image and what others think of them. They typically have problems with workaholism and competitiveness. At their Best: self-accepting, authentic, everything they seem to be—role models who inspire others.

Basic Fear: Of being worthless
Basic Desire: To feel valuable and worthwhile

5 - The Investigator

Fives are alert, insightful, and curious. They are able to concentrate and focus on developing complex ideas and skills. Independent, innovative, and inventive, they can also become preoccupied with their thoughts and imaginary constructs. They become detached, yet high-strung and intense. They typically have problems with eccentricity, nihilism, and isolation. At their Best: visionary pioneers, often ahead of their time, and able to see the world in an entirely new way.

Basic Fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable
Basic Desire: To be capable and competent

According to the website, I'm in pretty good company: I share personality traits with Billy Dee Williams, Tim Burton, and the X-Files's Fox Mulder.

Maybe you do, too.

3 comments:

Larissa said...

Fox is HOT!

This Place is a Disaster! said...

I found the test to be interestingly accurate and I think I will look into this. Itoo like finding out about myself and how to better myself.

Heather said...

I like personality tests. Maybe I'll have to try this one sometime. My favorite test is the Myers-Briggs (MBTI), though.