Friday, August 26, 2011

Complacency Is For The Weak. You're Not Weak, Are You, Punk?

I'd hardly be the first to note that his college years were full of change. I moved probably six or seven times over the course of those four years. As a result, when I graduated from college and moved to Salt Lake, I did so with the intention of creating a more or less permanent home - which I've done fairly successfully for the past three years. This past year, though...

2011 is shaping up to be the year when the universe conspired against me to prove I'm not nearly as independent and self-sufficient as I thought - which is a pretty devastating blow to my ego.


Very first day of the year, I got robbed. A couple months later, my car died. Then my social circle was upset when the LDS church decided to mix up their young single adult program.

The biggest kick in the face, though, came last night, when my new landlord came by to introduce himself. The conversation started all friendly, but then he told me that my rent's going up $15 in September, and, unless I sign another year-long lease, it'll go up another $20 a month thereafter.

Now, I like my apartment... but not that much. It's a rat hole. Not LITERALLY a "rat hole," though. Maybe a "roach hole." I can't afford to pay even that extra $15 a month, ESPECIALLY since I'm already scrimping to pay off the car I just bought four months ago.

I've been able to live more or less comfortably on my own for several years, but apparently no longer. So I'm apartment shopping - and likely roommate shopping, too. I've got a good lead already on WHO I can live with, but I really need to find a WHERE.

And soon. September's almost here.

6 comments:

heidikins said...

I'm pretty sure that any rent increase MUST be presented in writing at least 30 days prior to the increase. So, politely tell your landlord that he can do so and then give your 30 days notice. That gives you another month to find somewhere to live.

Good luck!
xox

(Word Verification: uncutbox. I think this is the first time the word thingy has been something that I could pronounce...)

Larissa said...

You said $40 last night? Me confused.
You should move into my ward! Okay, too far from downtown for your tastes, but, hey, I have a spare room;-)

S.R. Braddy said...

The total's $35. I exaggerated cuz I was upset.

S.R. Braddy said...

And Larissa, you're not the first to offer to cohabitate with me, FYI.

Heather said...

If you actually liked your place or your ward I might suggest selling plasma or...your drawings, but seems like the Universe might be doing you a favor.

D.A. Hunter said...

NO! Stay on the same block, and in the same ward. You're the light at the end of my YSA tunnel.