Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Enter Gachnar the Computer Demon!

As long as it's been since the last time I posted any of my artwork, you'd think I'd have more to show for it... Oh, well. Here's what I've got:


Some of you may have missed the Jesters' fantastic 80s Night show a couple weeks ago. Well, never fear! Here we have a quick doodle of Blake in his authentic 1987 mullet and wife beater combo. The man has never looked finer...

...except for, like, every day of his life. Blake is much more handsome than this picture would imply.


I think I meant to take more time on this particular picture than I did... Some of the proportions are all off, and I'm not quite sure with how the menacing man in the poncho turned out. Actually, what's with his ensemble as a whole? It's kind of a mix of genres there.

The guy in the front, though, turned out pretty well.

***

Now for the main event.

I was "commissioned" a while back to make a drawing specifically for a friend of mine. My price was a bowl of ice cream (what can I say? I'm a sellout). Here's the description of what my friend wanted me to draw:
I need a picture of the little demon monster that lives in my computer. His name is Gachnar and he is little and evil and mean and sneaky and has horns and likes to play pranks and pinch ankles. Do you think you can do it? Puh-lease?
So here we have Gachnar, the computer demon that lives in Jenn's computer and pinches her ankles.


He's made himself quite at home.


I read somewhere recently that people prefer cartoons with lots of little details rather than lots of white space. It's like they think they're actually paying for the ink the artist uses, so they want their money's worth. While I don't know if that's ALWAYS the case, I'm certainly grateful for the extra time I was able to put into this second Gachnar sketch. It came out a LOT better for those little details.

3 comments:

Larissa said...

I confess, I have a fondness for that little demon. You have improved immensely in the past year!

jeffinerkay said...

Even though he pinches my ankles, I kinda love the little guy! Thanks Stephen! :)

This Place is a Disaster! said...

Most of the night, Blakes arms were straight out as he shook his manliness, but other than that I can remember vivid details at a glance of your portrayal!!! Well done!