Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Blithe Spirit Memories

Blithe Spirit closed on Saturday last week, and it's been a pretty bittersweet time. On the one hand, I finally have Saturday nights free again. On the other hand, I don't get to wear that awesome sweater/jacket combo that I wore during Act 2.

So swanky!
Well, when all's said and done, Blithe had a pretty successful run. Good audiences, good laughs, and, of course, some really good memories. Here's a list of those moments I'll always cherish from the Blithe Spirit run.
  • "What are you doing in the bathroom?!"
  • The vase which just would not break.
  • "Think of a colorless color..."
  • "Hey, Kristin, you should just slap me."
  • Abominable/abdominal
  • Wearing my suitcoat like a muzzle.
  • Learning how to mix a dry martini.
  • Watching hours of Fry and Laurie and calling it "research."
  • That one time I got slapped so hard I had to ice my face.
  • The vase which broke at totally the wrong time.
  • Sitting down with the whole cast and talking characters for an hour and a half.
  • Heather screaming so loud that the phone rang.
  • It's not nerves, it's delirium tremens."
  • An EXTREMELY late-night dinner with Kristin and Larissa after the show.
  • The police standoff going on outside during Act 1 on closing night.
  • "Once and for all, Elvi- I mean, Ruth."
  • *thud* *thud* *thud* "Heather must have just had an entrance."
  • Jordan laughing during the show and getting accused of being a plant.
  • "I promise Violet will be good. I guarantee it!"
  • Choking on my apple-juice whiskey every bloody night.
  • Trying to figure out who just texted me while speaking with a British accent.
  • "Did Stephen just TOUCH someone?"
  • Getting punched out by Iverson every night
  • Pouring a drink for myself and a drink for Ruth, and then drinking both of them myself offstage.
  • Calvary/cavalry
  • "Surely even an ectoplasmic manifestation has the right to expect a little of the milk of human kindness." I don't care if the line never got a laugh - I THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY!
  • Walk to the window, then the fireplace, then the gramophone, then BACK to the window...
  • "I'll do my damndest!"
  • Stopping abruptly right before Michaela and I were supposed to go onstage.
  • The time I got slapped in the face and heard a very distinct "Ha ha!" from the audience.
  • "That cuckoo is very angry. Listen." "CUCKOO!"
  • Pouting.
  • "Bless us so we don't fall down."
  • Forgetting to tighten the cap on the cocktail shaker during the producers preview (and the subsequent geyser).
  • "I'll stop in and look at your patient tomo-... oh, um, you talk too much."
  • All the little Blithe Spirit sendups during the Jesters improv show: "Try to see things from my point of view." "What, you mean drunk?"
  • The vase which EXPLODED on the mantlepiece.
  • Having my grandmother come and see the show to support me, even though she HATES Blithe Spirit.
  • Having friends I haven't seen in three years come to the show (love you, Matt and Carolyn!).
  • Heck, having everyone who came to Blithe Spirit come to Blithe Spirit. Thank you all!

3 comments:

Justina said...

I have to admit... I laughed every time Kristen slapped you. :)

Amy said...

I'm pretty sure that a police stand off during the first act on the night I was there is something I should've known about. but whatever.

"So glad you could make it. Thanks for coming." :)

miss kristen said...

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying over here.

And for the record I still feel bad about that slap...