Friday, May 11, 2012

Lincoln Log

Did you know that I share a birthdate with Abraham Lincoln?


It's true - except that I was born on the day he died, so it's not quite the same thing at all.

That weird little coincidence makes me feel a kinship with the man - he wasn't necessarily the World's Greatest President TM, but he was certainly a very great man. Anyway, a friend of mine recently posted a quote from the man, and, although I'm not usually one to re-post things, I felt this one particularly appropriate to my situation right now.
I do the very best I know how — the very best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what's said against me won't amount to anything.
-As quoted in The Life and Public Service of Abraham Lincoln (1865) Henry J. Raymond

Whether or not Mr. Lincoln actually said that (the jury's apparently out on that), this is exactly the sort of thing I needed to hear today. Thanks, Justina!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I was born on the same day Martin Luther King died. So I understand that sense of kinship you have. I think it's funny how we inately want to be connected with other people on this earth. I don't think Mr. King will ever feel nor want to be connected to me, but I am honored and therefore continually intrigued through a feasting of knowledge to be connected to him.

Gingerstar.kw said...

I was married on the same day that Elvis Presley died, and he died in 1977, which was my birth year.

Justina said...

I don't know how I missed this post... Thanks for the shout out and I'm glad that that quote was able to help you, even if it may not have been by Mr. Lincoln. :)