Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Cooking with Braddy: Indian Chicken and Spinach Curry

Ten years ago, there was no chance I'd EVER try a dish called "Indian Chicken and Spinach Curry."

Heck, FIVE years ago, I'd probably not have touched it.

Yet here we are. It's 2012, and not only did I TRY a dish called "Indian Chicken and Spinach Curry," not only did I MAKE a dish called "Indian Chicken and Spinach Curry," but I really LIKED it, too.

Who's come a long way now, Virginia?


I picked this recipe out of the Mighty Spice Cookbook because I already had a couple of the ingredients. Spices are fun to cook with, but they're EXPENSIVE. Luckily, I still had some leftover garam masala, so the only spices I needed to pick up were cumin and ginger.

I wound up leaving the cream out of the recipe - it's obviously healthier without it, and, well, I apparently don't quite have a pan big enought for everything.


That's BEFORE I even added the chicken and the spinach. So you can see that space was an issue.

Preparing the spinach for this recipe is probably one of the strangest things I've ever done. First I had to boil the spinach in water until it looked wilted. Then I blended it (with some of the leftover spinach water) until it looked like a... well, a nasty green spinach smoothie. Wish I'd taken a picture of it.


I'm going to have to call the recipe a complete success. The curry is a pretty mild one, but still delicious. This is probably my favorite recipe I've attempted thus far.

Well... I guess the aftermath left something to be desired.

4 comments:

miss kristen said...

You're such a boy cook. :)

Try Winco. They sell their spices in bulk.

And you should bring me leftovers. :)

S.R. Braddy said...

Last time I checked, Winco didn't have a lot of the spices I was looking for. Also, there isn't a Winco in downtown Salt Lake.

Who said anything about leftovers?

Justina said...

You drive to Magna over four times a week... if you go early enough you can get off of the 201 on the 5600 west exit. There is a Winco there. :)

Anonymous said...

Or not. They are open 24 hrs.