Monday, May 7, 2012

Braddy's Theatrical History


Well, Friday night saw the opening of Blithe Spirit out at the Empress Theatre, and the show has been a TON of FUN. Recently I've gotten a bit nostalgic for all the theatrical work I've done over the years. After all, there's nothing like a show opening to get you to look back at shows past.

So, here it is: Braddy's complete theatrical history. Enjoy!

1992 - Second Grade Pageant

Our musical pageant followed the adventures of Bill and Ted through American history, because someone thought that the best source material for a children's show would be an 80's stoner flick. I played President Eisenhower. And that's how my seven-year-old self knew more about American History than I do as an adult.

1996 - Shakespeare and Greek Tragedy

I loved my sixth grade teacher, but there's a pretty high probability that she was insane. We actually did two different plays that year: Antigone a Greek tragedy about a woman who gives her brother a proper burial after he dishoners the tyrant king, and Hamlet, a play about Mel Gibson being sad. I actually played the evil monarch/unrighteous king in both productions. Braddy's first experience with typecasting.

1997 - Oklahoma!

I've mentioned this before, I think, but I have no idea why on earth I auditioned for the school muscial back in eighth grade. Whatever the reasoning, Oklahoma! is what got me into singing. But my musical history is a different matter entirely.

I nearly nabbed the part of Judd, but lost out to someone with actual muscle mass. I wound up playing the part of Matt, a character who had a name despite having no lines, no special blocking, and no actual mention in the script outside of the character list. Strange...

1998 - Kiss Me, Kate

I must have enjoyed Oklahoma!, because I auditioned for the show the next year. I played an extra, but this time, I didn't even have a character name. What a rip-off!

I tend to use "Another Op'nin', Another Show" and "Where is the Life that Late I Led?" as audition pieces for musicals nowadays.

2000 - Li'l Abner

I think Li'l Abner is criminally underperformed. It's a great show - definitely dated in its sensibilities, but entertaining. I spent most of my stage time standing behind a cardboard cutout of a body builder, because the best thing for my self-esteem at the tender age of 15 was another reminder that I was just too skinny to be a real man.

2001 - Once Upon a Mattress

I've never had a costume that embarassed me more - a tunic that was basically just a short dress (and was see-thru under stage lights) and tights. Thankfully, I had so many good friends in the production, like a dance partner who repeatedly called me a b@$%@^^@%. Good times.

2002 - Anne of Green Gables

This show is terrible. Seriously, just terrible. The main love ballad, "Wonderin'," contains the line "And we laughed like parrots/When I called her 'Carrots.'" Also, the Act 1 finale, arguably the big show-stopper, is a bouncy little number called "Ice Cream" as lackluster as it is bland.

Anne of Green Gables is also the only show I've ever received financial compensation for.

2008 - Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

I thought I was done with theater. Then I was asked to audition for this show right after I graduated from college. I've been doing theater fairly irregularly ever since. Seven Brides had the most demanding choreography of any show I've ever participated in, and I loved it - except for the time I set my partner down on my big clumsy foot and sprained her ankle (sorry, Skye!).

Seven Brides nearly took the prize for worst costuming with the blanket they draped over me like a toga. The director took one look at my pale, knobby shoulder and said, "Actually, let's cover that up." So I wore a blanket dress.

2009 - Taming of the Shrew

Braddy's inability to emulate a convincing accent was on fine display during this Western adaptation of a Shakespearean classic. As, too, was his inability to play a romantic role.


2009 - One Act Play Festival

In years past, the Empress Theatre has participated in a program wherein high school students submit a self-written one-act play for consideration. Winners get to see their play performed on stage. I participated in a little show called "Thinking Out Loud," wherein a socially awkward young man goes on a date with a girl way out of his league. I played the boy's thoughts. It was pretty awesome.

2009 - Arsenic and Old Lace

2009 was a busy year for me. Three shows (and an ongoing stint with The Jesters Royale) just about ate up my whole life. I ended the year on a high note, though. Arsenic was one of the best theatrical experiences I had - manic and fun. I played Mortimer Brewster, a theater critic who over-analyzes everything. So, basically, I was myself on stage, except I parted my hair a little differently.


2010 - Damn Yankees

This play is terrible.

The production was actually a bit troubled - we weren't fully cast until about two weeks before we opened, and one of our most prominent dancers quit during the run of the show. Thank goodness I made a bunch of friends in the cast. Otherwise, this would have been a complete waste of time.

***

And that brings us to...

2012 - Blithe Spirit

I'm not going to lie - I've never been prouder of a show than I am of this one. I (and the rest of a very talented cast) put a lot of work into an incredibly wordy but HILARIOUS production. I've never played a role I've enjoyed more than Charles Condomine, a clever but lazy and abdominally selfish author.

Also, I get to drink a lot on stage.

Blithe Spirit runs every Monday, Friday, and Saturday from now until May 26 at the Empress Theatre. You should probably come see it.

5 comments:

Adrianna said...

I happily saw both Arsenic and Damn Yankees. I liked aresenic better. And pretty much this post made me laugh out loud repeatedly.

Justina said...

Oklahoma is know for giving their ensemble character names and not speaking roles. :)

Heather said...

Now, now, there's no reason to continually insult Bill and Ted. They are hilarious.

miss kristen said...

Don't forget you're abdominally horrible to both your wives...

I'm so glad you did this show. I can't see anyone else playing Charles.

miss kristen said...

Oh and your accent is just fine--especially when you say 'schooner'.