Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Cooking with Braddy: Swiss Steak Casserole


I REALLY need to read these recipes more closely before I commit to making them...

Okay, so I did the whole shopping thing on Saturday, thinking that, after a busy day of meetings and church and whatnot on Sunday, I might like to spend a nice, relaxing evening at home cooking. So I pull out this new cookbook my aunt gave me for my birthday and decide I'd give it a shot. I mean, I don't actually have a casserole dish, but I've got a glass baking pan, so I think I can handle it, right?

Well, sort of. See, first of all, I always assume that, because I only cook for one most of the time, everyone ELSE only cooks for one as well. That, of course, is just silly talk. Turns out, the food in the picture above is intended to make casserole enough for EIGHT WHOLE PEOPLE!!! Now, I can eat a lot, but unless I'm secretly pregnant with septuplets, eating the whole thing would be a bit excessive.

Then there's the cooking time - an hour and a half to cook the meat by itself, and then another hour and a half to cook the veg. Good thing I'm a patient man, otherwise... okay, I'm actually not that patient. Did get through quite a few episodes of my stories, though.

Now, there was one ingredient I couldn't quite figure out from the book, so I had to wing it a bit. The directions called for "chile sauce," which, for the life of me, I couldn't find. Eventually, I think I figured out what they were asking for, but by that point I'd already returned from shopping. So, instead of the chile sauce, I decided to go with a small can of ranchera salsa (there are chiles in salsa, right?). I'm not sure it was the flavor the recipe writer was going for, but it WAS delicious.


Plus, I now have leftovers for, like, a week.

No comments: