Saturday, January 16, 2010

Daily Sketches


1.10.10 - Quick sketch I did during church. The girl here was giving the sermon.

I think I was able to get her drawn pretty quickly, but the end result is far from lifelike. For one thing, the girl was wearing a headband that I wasn't quite able to capture on the page. Also, I'd never drawn glasses before. I don't think I did too well.

1.11.10 - Went back to drawing the arms folded on this guy. It's still ridiculously tough for me.

There's something wrong with the guy's torso - other than the whacked-out proportions. It looks VERY 2-dimensional, and I don't think I'm quite sure yet how to fix it.

This guy looks like a bit of a douche. I think I'll call him Doug.

1.12.10 - This here, by the way, was Miss Conference Edition, Fall 2009, in my reckoning.

I actually have very little experience drawing open mouths. The picture of the girl was taken mid-song, so THAT was an adventure.

I think I cut part of her head off, but I had a good time drawing the hair, so I don't feel so bad.

Oh, and the girl's got a ring on her left hand. Darn it...


1.13.10 - I seem to be drawing douchebags a lot...

This was just a quick sketch - an exercise in using straight lines. I also wanted to do a new pose, and I saw the crossed-leg lean-in pickup-line pose on a picture just before doing the sketch.

For a quick sketch minutes before I went to bed, though, I think this one turned out pretty darn well. That tie's WAY too skinny and short, though...



1.14.10 - So I have a confession: I LOVE me some good cartoons. Also, I love a few cartoons that aren't so good. This here's a character from one of those not-so-good cartoons.

The "Teen Titans" cartoon that ran on Cartoon Network was done in an animation style the creators call murikanime - a mix between classic Warner Brothers animation and Japanimation. It was goofy, kinda ugly, and almost completely nonsensical - and I love the HECK out of it.

This here's Raven, my favorite character (in concept, if not execution) from the series. Don't ask me what the deal with her ribcage is - that's how the picture I copied my sketch from looked. The goofy-looking head is ALL me, though.


1.15.10 - I felt like I needed to draw a guy in an action pose, so I did. I think I've shown some decent progress here, but there are still some GLARING flaws.

I'm proudest here of the guy's karate gi - I hadn't ever really drawn one before, so I looked a few things up. I know the sleeves and pant legs aren't QUITE right, but I think I did a decent job with the belt. I tried to get it to conform to his body and pose a bit more, which I think helps.

I've never drawn bare feet before. I REALLY need to work on that. I just now realized that I gave the guy two left feet... literally.

No comments: