Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Daily Sketches

I've made a goal for New Year's that I'll complete one sketch per day. Don't know if I'm going to inflict every single one of these sketches upon the internet, but I'll definitely post my favorites.

Well, when I get to the point where I can discriminate. For now, you get them all.



1.1.10 - I drew the earlobes too big, so I added those huge earrings to explain them.

There's no excuse for why this guy's grabbing his crotch.

Still really weak on figure drawing. I haven't put in the practice like I have on faces.


1.2.10 - Girl's shoulders are too broad, arms and legs too thin, and skirt's too flat.
I kinda like how the face and hair turned out, even if she DOES look like she's got sideburns.
I purposely avoided drawing her feet. I have a feeling that'll be a trend.


1.3.10 - I still think suits are easy to draw.
I didn't set out to draw a fat man, but I decided to go with it. I made the features on his face a bit too small, so I added a few extra details, turned it into a charicature.
You can actually see that I first drew the guy sitting. I decided it looked terrible, so I decided to make him stand up. In the end, I'm pretty proud of this one.

1.4.10 - The spiky hair is a bit too reminiscent of manga. I'm hoping to steer clear of that a bit more in the future.
Drawing a guy with folded arms took a LOT longer than I anticipated. The arms never looked quite right. I finally figured that I needed to angle the arms INTO the kid's abdomen instead of AWAY from it. That helped fix things.
I like the fingers I drew, but the hand as a whole still looks BAD. I'll keep working on limbs.

1.5.10 - I saw this model on the cover of a Nordstrom's ad. I decided I had to draw her. The hats look sorta stupid, but I think I captured the overall effect.

I cheated a little bit - the bracelet and scarf were both these enormous beaded monstrosities. I decided to simplify a little bit.

I'm pretty sure this stands as evidence that I CAN draw hands, but I needed a model. I also goofed up the proportions: the girl's hand is EXACTLY as big as her head. But I'm still very happy with the overall effect.

No comments: