Saturday, January 2, 2010

Fresh Start in 2010

New Year’s resolutions are a tricky thing. Last year, on a whim, I made up a list of thirteen resolutions I really had very little intention of keeping. Most of them were gags. Ironically, I think the gag resolutions are the ones I’ve kept the best (I think I said “Buehler” once this whole year).

I’ve been impressed by some of you out there in the vast expanses of Internetland, though, and some of the resolutions YOU’VE been making. In particular, I remember a resolution one person made last year (I’d call her a friend, but she’s really only a friend in the Facebook sense) to make 2009 the best year of her life. From everything I saw of her, it worked. She didn’t only SAY she’d have the best year of her life in January, but she kept working towards it right up to the end of December by simply staying positive.

Now, I’m not saying that’s an EASY task. But it’s definitely an attitude worth adopting.
To that end, I’m going to adopt a strategy of another Facebook friend. I almost never speak to this person, but I stumbled across her New Year’s resolutions (again, posted on the net), and her approach appealed to me. She made two sets of goals: personal accomplishments and personal development. The accomplishments are things she would RELISH crossing off her list, and the other are things she would REFINE about herself. Again, it’s the optimism here that appeals to me, so I think I’m going to follow her example and set similar goals for myself.

RELISH – These goals focus mainly on the things I find the most joy in.

1 – Write for a half hour and complete at least one sketch per day. Now, I know that by setting a goal that requires a daily effort, I create a chore for myself rather than a hobby to enjoy. Normally, I dread work (just ask my boss), but I think that WORK is exactly what I need right now. My biggest regrets from childhood are the missed opportunities from NOT practicing the piano or the viola, because I kind of wish I could play musical instruments. I never made a passive interest a goal I was willing to work for. Well, NO MORE. I’ve even talked to a few people about keeping tabs on each other as we pursue similar goals. I’m hoping a little bit of extra accountability will help make these goals more than wishful-writing (which, by the way, is the same reason why I’m posting them on my blog).

2 – Make at least one submission to a journal or magazine per month. More when I can handle it. The one exception might be the month of January, as I’m going to be busy getting ready for goal #3.

3 – Enter at least 15 poems in the Utah State Poetry Society Annual Contest. Deadline: February 1. Right now, I have about 14 poems I’d consider submitting. Of those 14, only 5 are really good enough that I’d be willing to submit them. I have a busy month ahead of me. And, frankly, I’m looking forward to it.

4 – Read at least 3 books on art technique. I have some fantastic friends who have been willing to help me develop a little fascination with doodles into a full-fledged hobby. I’m still an amateur at this point – and that’s fine. I like learning something new and being BAD at it to start with. It’s fun. But I want to get better. I have ideas about potential projects, ways of combining poetry and art, that I’m not ready to tackle yet. Also, I’m not going to lie – I kinda want to draw comics.

4.5 – At least one of the above books will be on charcoal technique. I got some charcoal from my brother for Christmas – and it’s a gift I very much appreciate. I have every intention of learning how to use said gift.

5 – Read at least 3 books on theatrical improvisation. I haven’t had time to audition for any plays recently, and I don’t see myself auditioning for any in the near future. However, I still take the stage about once per week with The Jesters Royale. And I love it. What started as a way to hang out with friends at Wednesday night workshops has turned into a hobby I have more passion for than I expected. Currently, I help teach those workshops, and I feel like a bit of a fraud since I know very little about acting technique. I plan on correcting that. Besides, I’m not such a good performer that I couldn’t do with a little more attention to the basics.

6 – Attend the temple at least once per month. I don’t spend nearly enough time working on my spiritual side – and I LIKE going to the temple. There’s no reason for me not to do it more.

7 – Attend to my church responsibilities regularly, including monthly attempts at home teaching. My best experiences in different wards have been in the wards where I have the best relationship with the people I home teach. I’ve started to develop decent friendships with those I’ve currently been assigned to visit, and I’d like to continue to cultivate those relationships.

REFINE – These are the goals I set for my own personal development.

1 – No more “That’s what she said” jokes. I’ve been working on this goal for maybe two days, and already this is killing me. It’s been something of a game to me – an exercise of wit. Well, I think I can be witty without resorting to this kind of humor.

And I know enough people that’ll make the jokes for me. I probably won’t really need to vocalize them again.

2 – Be proud of who I am. Because who I am is awesome. I’ve branded myself as a nerd for years, and I stand by that self-appellation. The thing is, the nerd culture – especially on the internet – is self-deprecating. Nerds revel in being outsiders, social deviants. I’ve just decided that I don’t need to think less of myself because of my taste in movies or whatever. I like what I like for the reasons I like them – and those are pretty good reasons.

3 – Listen more. I’ve known for twenty-five years and eight months that I have a lot of good ideas, and I’ll share them with anyone at the slightest invitation. Unfortunately, I’ve missed out on learning that others are just as interesting – and often more so – than I am.

4 – Explore more – especially in the world of literature. An interest in comic books led me to read REAL graphic novels – like Persepolis, which tells the story of the Iranian revolt, or Asterios Polyp, which deconstructs the simplistic ideology of a narcissistic architect. An interest in art has led me to start reading picture books – like Tales from Outer Suburbia, which produces the exact same sensation I get when reading good poetry – a sense of enlightenment and enrichment. There’s a lot of good stuff out there that I don’t know about yet, which means I’m missing out.

5 – Adventure more. I tend to fall into comfortable ruts and stay in them. This is basically a resolution to say “no” a little less, especially when my only reason for not wanting to do something is fear.

6 – Have fun. 2010 is going to be MY “best year ever.” So I’m gonna get out there and start enjoying it. Starting… now.

1 comment:

Todd said...

Good for you Bradford! Good luck with these!